Personal Finance Editor Tanisha A. Sykes’s advice for looking crisp at the office without breaking the bank at the dry cleaners.
- SEPARATE clothes into whites, lights, colors and dedicates. (People launder everything together, then wonder why their white T-shirt is suddenly pink.) Wash clothes inside out and according to label instructions. For whiter whites, soak clothes for two hours in very hot water, 1 cup laundry detergent, 1 cup of powered dish detergent, 1 cup of bleach and 1/2 cup of borax. Wash as usual, then linedry.
- SPRINKLE cornstarch on a fresh oil or gravy stain, then place the garment, stain side down, on a large rag on top of the ironing board. Iron with a hot iron on the wrong side of the stain. Most of the oil and grease should come out immediately. Or spritz the stain with Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner ( $11.93, 32 fl oz amazon.com) ; it works wonders on stubborn spots.
- DRAPE recently worn dresses, blouses, suits or slacks over the back of a chair or on a hook on the back of your door to air out after wearing. Allowing odors to escape lets you wear the clothing again, reduces your dry-cleaning bill and retains the value of your investment. After wearing an item of clothing twice, dry-clean the fabric so that perspiration and body oils don’t set in .
- AVOID wire hangers they can rust and ruin the shape of clothing , I love Huggable Hangers in black ($20 for a value pack of 14 shirt and 10 suit hangers, containerstore.com) because they’re nonslip and space saving . Bonus tip: shirts and blouses made of linen or rayon will stay virtually wrinkle-free when hung. Fold sweaters, knitwear and long, beaded evening dresses to avoid stretching.
- KEEP a fully stocked sewing kit, with needle and thread, scissors and safety pins, always at the ready for quick fixes in the office or while traveling for work. At home, set aside time to sew missing buttons, ripped skirt hems or torn jacket linings on a lazy Saturday afternoon. I like to keep the Singer Professional Series Sew Kit ($27.99, amazon.com) right in my purse for repairs on the go.
- ORGANIZE your closet. Donate rarely worn pieces to your favorite charity. Keep jewelry secure in the Little Black Dress Hanging Jewelry Organizer by Umbra ($17.51, amazon.com), and store shoes in Our Shoe Boxes ($2-$4 each, containerstore.com) For more ideas storage ideas, try closetmaid.com or homedepot.com. A neat closet protects your gear for a lifetime.
From Essence Magazine October 2013 issue.
Rihanna was spotted outside of her hotel in London the other day wearing a crop top and maxi skirt from her Spring/Summer 2013-14, Rihanna for River Island collection. This look is definitely fresh off the runway. She understands that self promotion is the best route to go because she is always spotted out and about. Of course, the pap’s will always be close by to snap pics and they will be seen all over the globe.
Ri Ri is not going to stop designing any time soon. She has already begun working on her Autumn/Winter 3013-14 range for River Island with co-designer, Adam Selman. Adam worked with her on the first collection and was able to execute her vision so it should turn out just as good. Can’t wait to see what RiRi is cooking up next.
What she wore:
Crop top and Maxi skirt from Rihanna for River Island Spring/Summer 2013-14 collection
Silver Spoon Attire Vintage Cameo Beanie
Super Classic Francis Sunglasses
Trapstar Irongate Stadium Jacket
Men’s Adidas Pro Model Sneakers
Joyrich python PU Backpack
Rihanna launched her impressive 90s inspired ready-to-wear collection for River Island this past Saturday during London Fashion Week. This explains why the pieces look dated. In my opinion, she did not have to create a signature piece because the entire collection had Rihanna’s style intertwined in it.
From the jersey maxi dresses with thigh-high splits, crop tops, bomber jackets and sheer shirts it is all Ri Ri. I appreciated the fact that she designed the pieces with women who have smaller shapes in mind. So the fit of the pieces are perfect. It is nice to see a collection that strayed away from the ill-fitting, over sized clothing that has been bombarding women’s wear lately. The simplicity of the collection is also refreshing. You can purchase the collection on March 5.
You can view the entire collection at River Island’s Instagram page.
Images Via: rihanna-diva.com
It seems that both Rihanna and Style Network still has faith in her fashion show, ‘Styled To Rock,’ although it failed to make noise the U.K. Style Network has picked up the series making it “Style’s first-ever competition series.” Styled to Rock is executive produced by none other than Rihanna.
Ri Ri says, “Fashion has always played an integral part in my life and career. I am so excited to partner with Style Network and share my creative insight with these 12 designers and give them this opportunity to showcase their work.”
The show will be reminiscent of the U.K. version.
“The hour long 10-episode series gives 12 up-and-coming designers the opportunity of a lifetime: to create unique fashion pieces for A-list celebrities. The stakes will be high as these driven artists vie for the title of America’s next trendsetting designer.”
Salaam Coleman Smith, President of Style Media on Rihanna and rebranding the show :
“Rihanna is a trailblazer, a trendsetter and the epitome of style. She has a powerful and unique point-of-view that transcends every aspect of pop culture, including fashion, and is a leading creative force,” said Salaam Coleman Smith, President, Style Media. “On the heels of our successful network rebrand, Styled to Rock and Style’s new partnership with Rihanna will reinvent the fashion competition genre, fueling our viewers’ insatiable appetite for all things style.”
If you think you have what it takes to join the competition series click here.
I will definitely be watching!
Sources: MTV & Style Network
Images of Rihanna’s River Island Campaign
My heart is smiling because Rihanna is teaming up with River Island to create an exclusive clothing collection. The capsule collection will launch in Spring 2013 and will include women’s apparel. I think that this collaboration would be more suitable for her style range. River Island is fun and youthful like herself. Not to diss her capsule collection with Armani but to me the collection was bland I don’t think she was able to express her personal style through that medium. I am a huge fan of River Island and Rihanna, I can’t wait to see what she has in store. I am surprised that Topshop has not approached her about creating a collection through them. She is always wearing their brand.
Ben Lewis River Island Chief Executive had nothing but great things to say regarding the collaboration.
“We are thrilled to be collaborating with Rihanna and to be the first fashion
brand to work with her in this way. Rihanna is a style icon, from street to chic
she enjoys her fashion. As soon as we started to work together we knew this was
a perfect fit. Rihanna will be designing the collection and we will be sharing
our fashion experience with her to develop a range her fans will love.”
Rihanna expressed her excitement about the collection as well.
“I’ve been wanting to design my own collection for some time. River Island is
the perfect partner for me to collaborate with and working with a British,
family run business also really appealed to me. I find London really inspiring
and River Island loves to have fun with clothes. I’m looking forward to working
with them and creating something really special.”
Solange Knowles decided to expand her brand even further by signing a modeling contract with Next Model Management. Solange is not new to this modeling thing she has modeled for Armani Jeans and her sister Beyoncé clothing line House of Dereon. Solange is also a face of Rimmel London and Carol’s Daughter. I am a huge fan of Solange’s fashion sense because she wears what she wants to with no apologies. Vogue UK called Solo the “next big thing,” and I agree.
Next Model Management global publicist Katy Moseley had nothing but great things to say about Solange.
“We are delighted to be working with Solange. She is hugely popular and beautiful, with so many brilliant ideas and creative energy.”
Solange had this to say about her newest endeavor:
“Artistic expression is invaluable to me in all walks of my career and I am so excited to continue to develop this path along with such an amazing team at Next Model Management,” Knowles told Vogue UK. “I feel right at home working with people who have worked beside such creative forces in the world.”
I told you about Rachel Bilson’s collaboration with her long time celebrity stylist, Nicole Chavez, and footwear designer Steve Madden for the launch ShoeMint offering a monthly selection of exclusively designed shoes through BeachMint. Check out the promo pics for her new endeavor showcasing two fabulous shoe styles that you will be able to purchase when the online store opens. Don’t you love the Isabel Marant Yoan alpaca-blend instarsia sweater she is wearing! What do you think of the designs showcased here?
Rachel on ShoeMint, “Speaking about her new project, the ‘Hart of Dixie’ star said that, I loved the idea of designing really cute shoes that are affordable and accessible. The whole idea behind the BeachMint brand makes the online shopping experience so personal. More and more, people are shopping for shoes online and with BeachMint, I have the opportunity to design not just the shoes, but the full experience for our customers, which feels more personal and rewarding for me. As a designer, I’m always exploring new mediums and footwear is a category I’ve always been very passionate about.”
Rihanna is expanding her brand even further with her capsule collection with Emporio Armani Underwear and Armani Jeans. Considering the fact that Rihanna is already the face of both lines this is a great union. According to Vogue UK te collection will consist of, ” T-shirts bearing her R logo and Armani’s signature eagle, classic biker jackets, a canvas rucksack, jeans in two different styles and sets of lace underwear that come in navy blue and pearl grey. The collection will be available worldwide from mid-November.” I like the blue denim, the canvas rucksack and lingerie, I am glad she thought about quality not quantity.
Of course the place to be on November 8, 2011 was at the Versace for H&M fashion show in New York City. Everybody who was anybody showed up for the event, Jennifer Hudson, Jessica Alba, Coco Rocha, Nicki Minaj, Prince, and the list goes on. That night was about pure gaudy fun and every one channeled that. I am so happy that the average person will have a chance to enjoy Versace pieces at an affordable price. The Versace for H&M iconic line hits select stores November 19th. Will you be buying? Check out runway pictures here.
Nicki Minaj performed at the highly anticipated Versace for H&M fashion show in New York City decked out in Versace for H&M pieces. I love, love, love this look on Nicki! My thoughts on Nicki’s style is usually yay or nay but this look suits her, it screams 1980’s. Her hair is fly as well. The only thing I can do without are those sneakers they make her feet look huge. I’m gagging! This looks like something that Snooky would wear. LMBO! *Side Note* I wonder how she would have styled one of the dresses from the collection…
Images Via: Nicki Minaj’s Twitter Page & Style.com