Personal Finance Editor Tanisha A. Sykes’s advice for looking crisp at the office without breaking the bank at the dry cleaners.
- SEPARATE clothes into whites, lights, colors and dedicates. (People launder everything together, then wonder why their white T-shirt is suddenly pink.) Wash clothes inside out and according to label instructions. For whiter whites, soak clothes for two hours in very hot water, 1 cup laundry detergent, 1 cup of powered dish detergent, 1 cup of bleach and 1/2 cup of borax. Wash as usual, then linedry.
- SPRINKLE cornstarch on a fresh oil or gravy stain, then place the garment, stain side down, on a large rag on top of the ironing board. Iron with a hot iron on the wrong side of the stain. Most of the oil and grease should come out immediately. Or spritz the stain with Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner ( $11.93, 32 fl oz amazon.com) ; it works wonders on stubborn spots.
- DRAPE recently worn dresses, blouses, suits or slacks over the back of a chair or on a hook on the back of your door to air out after wearing. Allowing odors to escape lets you wear the clothing again, reduces your dry-cleaning bill and retains the value of your investment. After wearing an item of clothing twice, dry-clean the fabric so that perspiration and body oils don’t set in .
- AVOID wire hangers they can rust and ruin the shape of clothing , I love Huggable Hangers in black ($20 for a value pack of 14 shirt and 10 suit hangers, containerstore.com) because they’re nonslip and space saving . Bonus tip: shirts and blouses made of linen or rayon will stay virtually wrinkle-free when hung. Fold sweaters, knitwear and long, beaded evening dresses to avoid stretching.
- KEEP a fully stocked sewing kit, with needle and thread, scissors and safety pins, always at the ready for quick fixes in the office or while traveling for work. At home, set aside time to sew missing buttons, ripped skirt hems or torn jacket linings on a lazy Saturday afternoon. I like to keep the Singer Professional Series Sew Kit ($27.99, amazon.com) right in my purse for repairs on the go.
- ORGANIZE your closet. Donate rarely worn pieces to your favorite charity. Keep jewelry secure in the Little Black Dress Hanging Jewelry Organizer by Umbra ($17.51, amazon.com), and store shoes in Our Shoe Boxes ($2-$4 each, containerstore.com) For more ideas storage ideas, try closetmaid.com or homedepot.com. A neat closet protects your gear for a lifetime.
From Essence Magazine October 2013 issue.
I really love the fact that ELLE decided to showcase a toned down version of Nicki Minaj. She is very pretty and even prettier with less makeup. I think it is sad that she said “I felt naked” when referring to not wearing her normal pink lips or lashes. That to me says, she is not comfortable in her own skin. You can tell this is the case, not just from the comment but also the fact that she wears revealing outfits a lot.
A woman who is comfortable with herself knows she doesn’t have to reveal anything to attract attention. *Note to women in general* Your talent should speak volumes not your body parts. Women who have no substance have to resort to getting naked to get noticed. Respecting yourself will get you noticed no matter what lies the media tries to sell you. Check out snippets of what she had to say about being bullied as a child, dramatic make-under for her ELLE photo shoot, and more:
Beyoncé kept her look simple at the Two Kings Dinner. She wore an Alexander McQueen Leaf crepe jacket, and Leaf crepe boot cut trousers. The suit was paired with Maison Martin Margiela Four Set 22-karat gold-plated knuckleduster rings. Although the look has a masculine feel to it, the hair and bustier gave the look a chic twist. I wonder if she is going for a more masculine look for the new album. Time will tell…
Rihanna was spotted outside of her hotel in London the other day wearing a crop top and maxi skirt from her Spring/Summer 2013-14, Rihanna for River Island collection. This look is definitely fresh off the runway. She understands that self promotion is the best route to go because she is always spotted out and about. Of course, the pap’s will always be close by to snap pics and they will be seen all over the globe.
Ri Ri is not going to stop designing any time soon. She has already begun working on her Autumn/Winter 3013-14 range for River Island with co-designer, Adam Selman. Adam worked with her on the first collection and was able to execute her vision so it should turn out just as good. Can’t wait to see what RiRi is cooking up next.
What she wore:
Crop top and Maxi skirt from Rihanna for River Island Spring/Summer 2013-14 collection
Silver Spoon Attire Vintage Cameo Beanie
Super Classic Francis Sunglasses
Trapstar Irongate Stadium Jacket
Men’s Adidas Pro Model Sneakers
Joyrich python PU Backpack
Rihanna launched her impressive 90s inspired ready-to-wear collection for River Island this past Saturday during London Fashion Week. This explains why the pieces look dated. In my opinion, she did not have to create a signature piece because the entire collection had Rihanna’s style intertwined in it.
From the jersey maxi dresses with thigh-high splits, crop tops, bomber jackets and sheer shirts it is all Ri Ri. I appreciated the fact that she designed the pieces with women who have smaller shapes in mind. So the fit of the pieces are perfect. It is nice to see a collection that strayed away from the ill-fitting, over sized clothing that has been bombarding women’s wear lately. The simplicity of the collection is also refreshing. You can purchase the collection on March 5.
You can view the entire collection at River Island’s Instagram page.
Images Via: rihanna-diva.com
Beyoncé is the cover girl for the March issue of Vogue. She must have been studying supermodels from the 90′s to nail this spread because the cover reminds me a lot of Cindy Crawford. Beyoncé discussed everything from motherhood to her latest solo album which she says, “I’m going to be tweaking. I still have things to figure out.”
I admire how she navigates through criticism, by simply not reading it. She reads only the story and not the comments sections.
“Don’t scroll down!” Beyoncé advises, laughing. “You’re definitely going to get your feelings hurt.”
I have no to shade throw concerning the fashion choices for the spread. Givenchy, Oscar de la Renta, Marni, Haider Ackermann, Alexander McQueen…Oh my!
Read the entire story at Vogue.
Solange Knowles makes the list wearing this emerald-green Ralph & Russo Couture gown with exaggerated box shoulders and a thigh-high slit. The most exquisite part of it all is the gown is adorned with over 20,000 hand embroidered Swarovski crystals. Solange accessorized with Lorraine Schwartz jewels (I guess wearing Lorraine’s jewels is a family tradition) and a pair of pink Christian Louboutin Pigalle Spikes. Her hair is everything! Solange can do no wrong in the style department.
Beyoncé has been hitting high fashion notes since the birth of her baby Blue Ivy. She has taken Instagram by storm, using it as a platform to showcase her latest fashion transformation. I can tell she has been studying one of my top fashionista’s, her sister Solange,because of how she is dabbling with prints. Either way I hope this post- baby fashion forward sense of style never fades away. Check out some of my favorite looks:
It seems that both Rihanna and Style Network still has faith in her fashion show, ‘Styled To Rock,’ although it failed to make noise the U.K. Style Network has picked up the series making it “Style’s first-ever competition series.” Styled to Rock is executive produced by none other than Rihanna.
Ri Ri says, “Fashion has always played an integral part in my life and career. I am so excited to partner with Style Network and share my creative insight with these 12 designers and give them this opportunity to showcase their work.”
The show will be reminiscent of the U.K. version.
“The hour long 10-episode series gives 12 up-and-coming designers the opportunity of a lifetime: to create unique fashion pieces for A-list celebrities. The stakes will be high as these driven artists vie for the title of America’s next trendsetting designer.”
Salaam Coleman Smith, President of Style Media on Rihanna and rebranding the show :
“Rihanna is a trailblazer, a trendsetter and the epitome of style. She has a powerful and unique point-of-view that transcends every aspect of pop culture, including fashion, and is a leading creative force,” said Salaam Coleman Smith, President, Style Media. “On the heels of our successful network rebrand, Styled to Rock and Style’s new partnership with Rihanna will reinvent the fashion competition genre, fueling our viewers’ insatiable appetite for all things style.”
If you think you have what it takes to join the competition series click here.
I will definitely be watching!
Sources: MTV & Style Network
Images of Rihanna’s River Island Campaign
Solange Knowles was snatched on the grey carpet at the Ermenegildo Zegna “Essenze” Collection Launch Event in NYC. She wore this gorg’ two slit Silk Double Knit Jersey Dress (this dress is on sale for $225.00), and had a mean walk in B Brian Atwood ‘Labrea’ Corded Snakeskin Sandals. Solo accessorized with Lady Grey Jewelry pieces Tex Triangle Ring, Horizontal Ring, Punch Ring, and the Arc Cuff. For those that don’t know, Solange Knowles is Lady Grey’s first store curator. Her hairstyle for the event is reminiscent to how Donna Summer‘s used to wear her hair back in the day.
Images Via: Zimbio